Dr. Quentin Jones is an Associate Professor with a Ph.D. in Information Systems from University of Haifa, Israel. He has received many grants from National Science Foundation to develop user-location and social-activity aware mobile applications for community building, collaboration and customer discovery. To achieve that goal, Dr. Jones built an NJIT test-bed with NSF funding – a wireless and mobile environment for location-based online community. He currently supervises four Ph.D. students working in the area of human-centered computing. Their work advances social inference in the context of social computing applications, specifically: (1) the prevalence of social inference risks; (2) people´s difficulties in accurately predicting social inference risks; and (3) the relation between information entropy and social inference. They also enable predicting possible social inferences by modeling users´ background knowledge and calculating information entropy, and guiding how social inference support systems can be deployed that protect user privacy.
- 2009-2012 NSF IIS-1041476, "EAGER: Transforming Everyday Social Activity Coordination Through Mobile Outeraction-Support Systems," PI Jones Q.
- 2007-2008 NSF SGER-HCC $100,113 Synchronous Social-Interaction-Space Recommender Systems: Supporting Individual and Community Needs.
- 2007-2008 NSF IIS DST - REU Supplement for “Using GeoTemporal Social Matching to Support Community.”. Pending Final Approval by Program officer $12,000. PI: Jones Q., Co-PI: Borcea C., Co-PI: Hiltz S.R., Co-PI: Manikopoulos C., and Co-PI: Amento B.
- 2007-2008 NSF IIS ITR-CreativeIT SGER 0714158 $198,598. Fostering Creativity in Ubiquitous Social Computing through Casual and Formal Interactions in Interdisciplinary Design Studios. PI: Jabi W., Co-PI: Jones Q., Co-PI: Borcea C., Co-PI: Passerini K., and Co-PI: Churchill E.
- 2005-2008 NSF IIS DST 0534520 $749,608. Using GeoTemporal Social Matching to Support Community. PI: Jones Q., Co-PI: Borcea C., Co-PI: Hiltz S.R., and Co-PI: Amento B.
- 2005-2008 NSF CNS 0454081 $950,398 (NSF $791,998 / Required NJIT Match $158,400). CRI: 'SmartCampus' A Wireless Mobile Community System with People-To-People-To-Places Services. PI: Jones Q., Co-PI: Borcea C., Co-PI: Hiltz S.R., and Ziaveras S.,
- 2005 NSF IIS DST 0543332 REU Supplement $12,000. Collaborative Research: Mark This! - Operationalizing the Notion of "Place" For Interactive Community Systems.
- 2004-2005 Hewlett Packard Technology for Teaching Grant Initiative Higher Education grant ($69,591) SmartCampus. PI Jones Q., Co-PI Hiltz S.R., Co-PI Manikopoulos C., and Co-PI Tekinay S.
- 2003-2005 NSF DST IIS 0543332 and 0308018 $521,044 (NJIT $347,633 / UMN $173,411). Collaborative Research: Mark This! - Operationalizing the Notion of "Place" For Interactive Community Systems. PI: Jones Q., Co-PI: Terveen L. (UMN), and Co-PI: Whittaker S. (Univ. of Sheffield).
- Julia M. Mayer, Richard P. Schuler, Quentin Jones: Towards an understanding of social inference opportunities in social computing. GROUP 2012: 239-248
- Sara Motahari, Julia M. Mayer, Quentin Jones: How did you know that about me? Protecting users against unwanted inferences. ICST Trans. Security Safety 11(7-9): e3 (2011)
- Sukeshini A. Grandhi, Richard P. Schuler, Quentin Jones: Telling calls: facilitating mobile phone conversation grounding and management. CHI 2011: 2153-2162
- Sukeshini A. Grandhi, Quentin Jones: Technology-mediated interruption management. Int. J. Hum.-Comput. Stud. 68(5): 288-306 (2010)
- Sara Motahari, Sotirios G. Ziavras, Quentin Jones: Online anonymity protection in computer-mediated communication. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security 5(3): 570-580 (2010)
- Sukeshini A. Grandhi, Richard P. Schuler, Quentin Jones: Telling calls: making informed call handling decisions.Conference on Designing Interactive Systems 2010: 43-46
- Daphne R. Raban, Mihai Moldovan, Quentin Jones: An empirical study of critical mass and online community survival. CSCW 2010: 71-80
- Ketan Patel, Mohamed Ismail, Sara Motahari, David J. Rosenbaum, Stephen T. Ricken, Sukeshini A. Grandhi,Richard P. Schuler, Quentin Jones: MarkIt: Community Play and Computation to Generate Rich Location Descriptions through a Mobile Phone Game. HICSS 2010: 1-10
- Stephen T. Ricken, Richard P. Schuler, Sukeshini A. Grandhi, Quentin Jones: TellUsWho: Guided Social Network Data Collection. HICSS 2010: 1-10
- Julia M. Mayer, Sara Motahari, Richard P. Schuler, Quentin Jones: Common attributes in an unusual context: predicting the desirability of a social match. RecSys 2010: 337-340
- Steve Mardenfeld, Daniel Boston, Susan Juan Pan, Quentin Jones, Adriana Iamnitchi, Cristian Borcea: GDC: Group Discovery Using Co-location Traces. SocialCom/PASSAT 2010: 641-648
- Sukeshini A. Grandhi, Richard P. Schuler, Quentin Jones: To answer or not to answer: that is the question for cell phone users. CHI Extended Abstracts 2009: 4621-4626
- Sara Motahari, Sotirios G. Ziavras, Mor Naaman, Mohamed Ismail, Quentin Jones: Social Inference Risk Modeling in Mobile and Social Applications. CSE (3) 2009: 125-132
- Sukeshini A. Grandhi, Quentin Jones: Conceptualizing Interpersonal Interruption Management: A Theoretical Framework and Research Program. HICSS 2009: 1-10
- Sara Motahari, Sotirios G. Ziavras, Richard P. Schuler, Quentin Jones: Identity Inference as a Privacy Risk in Computer-Mediated Communication. HICSS 2009: 1-10
- Daphne R. Raban, Stephen T. Ricken, Sukeshini A. Grandhi, Nathaniel Laws, Quentin Jones: Hello Stranger! A Study of Introductory Communication Structure and Social Match Success. HICSS 2009: 1-9
- Sara Motahari, Sotirios G. Ziavras, Quentin Jones: Preventing Unwanted Social Inferences with Classification Tree Analysis. ICTAI 2009: 500-507
- Sara Motahari, Sotirios G. Ziavras, Quentin Jones: Designing for different levels of social inference risk. SOUPS 2009
- Quentin Jones, Sukeshini A. Grandhi, Samer Karam, Steve Whittaker, Changqing Zhou, Loren G. Terveen:Geographic 'Place' and 'Community Information' Preferences. Computer Supported Cooperative Work 17(2-3): 137-167 (2008)
- Maria M. Plummer, Linda Plotnick, Starr Roxanne Hiltz, Quentin Jones: A Wiki that knows where it is being used: insights from potential users. DATA BASE 39(4): 13-30 (2008)
- Sukeshini A. Grandhi, Nate Laws, Brian Amento, Quentin Jones: The Importance of "who" and "what" in Interruption Management: Empirical Evidence from a Cell Phone Use Study. AMCIS 2008: 79